The wait is over, OpenLayers 2.8 has been released. Some of the highlights I think are important:
- Add support for multi-layer feature selection when using vector features
- Added support for “XYZ” layers to interact with standard caches of tiles; includes OSM support built in
- Add support for drawing text on vector layers
- Support for loading ArcGIS Server data
- OSM layer
- Improved KML support with better styling, networklink support, ExtendedData Support
The full list is here. ArcXML support is “interesting”, but I havne’t touched an AXL file in years.